Monday, September 14, 2009

The Process

I've been meaning to do a process post for a while now. Sometimes I find it's kinda interesting to trace my steps. Here's how I built the most recent Dot Robot picture...


I did this sketch quickly just to get an idea of how the concept might look. This picture was taken with my webcam, straight out of my sketchbook. It's trash.


I drew these, scanned them in, and cobbled them together with photoshop, which you can see below.


I used my digital tablet thing to trace this picture in Adobe Illustrator. AI is great to "ink" with, it gives you nice clean lines, and a highly versatile image.


Here's the finished "inking". You can see the pencil drawing I traced in the background. Incidentally, I haven't seen Chasing Amy for a while.



After I figured out a colour scheme, I tinted the lines with corresponding colours. Usually, bold black lines look best for ink, but sometimes it's fun to screw around with different styles.

After I finished the lines, I imported the Illustrator file into Photoshop. This is where I paint the image and add airbrushing, or any other effect I might want it to have.


Here's my workspace in Photoshop. On the right side of the screen you can see all the layers that I used. Generally, I separate different colours and/or objects and designate them to their own layers. This makes it much easier to work on each individual piece of the image. Got it? Good.



Here I zoomed up on the image and removed the linework. Now you can see all the seams and mistakes I made. My life is apparently a sham.



The last thing I did was create the background in Illustrator. Uhm, for some reason I made it in the shape of an oven mitt. All I had left to do was place it into Photoshop with the finished illustration. Whoo!



And there you have it.

3 comments:

Guy Laird said...

Awesome Junior! LOVE this!

G B Laird said...

Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I still really like this one, and it's really interesting, especially for a complete non-artist who doesn't know the process at all, to see how these things work. Thanks for your efforts to break it down and show something so analytically like this. And also, now that mention it, that wall off to her side does seem a bit glaringly bare. A little family portrait or something maybe would have been nice, but whatever, what do I know? Nothing, that's what. Cool post, yo.

Hits