Thursday, February 25, 2010

Character design?

Every once in a while when I'm feeling particularly uninspired, I have a tendency to fixate on character design. I suppose it beats not producing any artwork at all, but it can be frustrating to get stuck on one idea for a long time. It's not always so easy for me to get the idea out of my head and onto the page. I guess it's all part of the learning process, right? Am I right? Aw, who knows.

Anyway, I've always thought the term "character design" was a little odd... Even in art school, there were specific classes and students devoted to "character design". It seems strange to me to devote yourself to such a precise field. So you've developed this design of yours, but does it immediately make it a "character"? Not exactly... it seems to me that the term "character" would imply that your creation also has a personality, a voice, and a general fleshed out concept. Most character designs just kinda stand around and... look cool. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, really, just a little shallow.

I'm totally guilty of this, however. What can I say... I like what I like. I always try to create things that I'm interested in, although I'm sure some efforts/ideas are better than others. I make no apologies.

And with that, here's the latest thing:


I've had this WW2 kinda fighter pilot theme in my head for a while. I've played around with similar ideas before, but here's one I tried to refine. I'm happy enough with it for now. She's kinda got this... Penelope Pitstop/Rose from Street Fighter/maybe a bit of Tank Girl thing going on. Although, not nearly as cool as any of those things... actually Penelope Pitstop sucks.

Here's a grubby sketch timeline from the last, oh I'd say 3 months or so...


...Just a few of the more interesting sketches I did. There were a lot more, but they're considerably more embarrassing than these.

If there's one thing I can say about character design that I really like, it's following the evolution of the concept. Yup.


Here's something interesting to read courtesy of John K. if anyone cares...

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2009/12/character-design-1-character-design.html

No comments:

Hits